Sunghi Lee - Never Before Seen Photos


Going through some of my old photos, I came across this one of Sunghi Lee, taken in Suwon, South Korea on June 6th, 1998 while she was there to promote her movie A Night on the Water. Not a great film (despite a decent performance by Sunghi), but one I truly feel deserves cult status. Great soundtrack, though.

I'm sure the above photo has never been seen before because I found it and the negative for it and two others, in 2001, in a envelope in a desk drawer at a former workplace in Korea. The three were taken by my former employer who was friends with the owner of the movie theater that Sunghi visited that day to meet fans and sign autographs. The top one was taken as she was signing the message that later went underneath the large framed photo you see of her in the next picture below.

Only the three photos were printed and I have them all. The two that I scanned for this entry, and the large framed one below, which is hanging on my office wall at home.

June 6th, 1998 photo of Sunghi with her handwritten message underneath

The movie theater in Suwon, Korea where the film was shown. The building was torn down
a few years ago to make way for a department store. Even though A Night on the Water
 was shot in Canada, it was only shown at (very few) theaters in Korea.

At the movie theater in Suwon the day she went there to sign autographs and  meet fans.
I was stationed in Suwon at that time, but didn't hear of her visit until after she left Korea.

Sunghi signing autographs at the theater. This photo was displayed in the
lobby of the theater until shortly before the building was torn down in 2005.

The very rare movie poster for A Night on the Water that I picked up
in Korea. Yours truly won't rest until he gets Sunghi to sign it to him.

Still from Sunghi's striptease scene in A Night on the Water, where she does a sultry routine  to
"Keep me in Your Mind" by Bulgarian singer Carolina, which is the song you're listening to
now. Read my review of the film here.


4 comments :

  1. I see this is in the top 10 now. It should have been a long time ago. Great post and thanks for including the song! Now I'll need to try and get the soundtrack!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Greg. For the soundtrack, eBay is your best bet. However, one thing is that the CD soundtrack doesn't include (for unknown reasons) a great song in the film entitled "Miss Your Touch," also by Carolina. If you want to get the movie on DVD, it's listed in the Amazon "recommended" box at right.

      Delete
  2. She shut down her website a few years ago. Any idea what she's doing these days?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. According to a few sources, she's now working as a personal trainer in the Los Angeles area.

      Delete

Gadgets by Spice Up Your Blog